Friday, December 19, 2008

The Christmas Party

Elizabeth and I attended a Christmas party this evening. It was one of those old fashioned types that don't occur much anymore. Guests said, "Merry Christmas" when they walked in the house. We hugged friends we hadn't seen in months and told funny stories about ourselves, talked about aches and pains and spoke of our grandchildren. The younger guests reveled in stories of their children. I noticed how people were laughing. That's nice. I don't think I laugh enough and being around friends like these makes me laugh and smile.
The food and drink were marvelous. There was a hot punch, a glog thing with whipped cream on top. I ate peanut brittle. It's been years since I had peanut brittle; guess it's considered unhealthy. Does peanut brittle have sugar in it? My favorite snack is popcorn. I ate popcorn with crunchy sweet tidbits mixed in. The chilled shrimp were as big as Ballpark Franks and, along with the buffalo wings, I ate enough for a roomful of homeless people. They had bruschetta! It's one of the few things I eat with tomatoes. It was served with white cheese and came hot out of the oven. Even in Italy you can't get bruschetta with hot cheese. The coup de grace was the double chocolate cake. I held myself to two pieces ; the second piece I drowned in whipped cream just to be decadent. It was all fabulous. My friends had a real Christmas tree and it was filled with lights and all types of decorations. The house was festive. Good smells, good food, good drink and good friends were in abundance. It was a Christmas movie minus a curmudgeon, a cooked goose and a kid with a gimpy leg.
A brief topic of conversation was my internet postings. Our host mentioned how he enjoys them but thought I'd been on a rant lately. He didn't explain what type of rant but he's probably thinking "heavy material" so I thought I'd try to find more humorous subjects. This doesn't mean I can't make fun of political things. Consider what Will Roger's wrote. Making fun of politicians is just too easy. From the time we left the party it took an hour to mine the mother lode.
The subject for it was poetry. I came across these pieces of "poetry" at The American Thinker. I want you to be aware of this magazine article so you don't hurl your hurl at me. You are about to be treated to the writings of Elizabeth Alexander, professor of African American studies at Yale. Please read carefully and think: lava lamps, bongs, tie-dyed clothes and doobies. This is where she's coming from. It's straight out of the heyday of Dr. Timothy Leary.
Titled: Neoatology

Is
funky, is
leaky, is
a soggy, bloody crotch, is
sharp jets of breast milk shot straight across the room,
is gaudy, mustard-colored poop, is
post partum tears that soak the baby's lovely head.
Then everything dries and disappears.
Then everything dries and disappears.
This is from the woman Barack Obama has selected to read her poetry at his inauguration. She is following in the footsteps of of Robert Frost for John F. Kennedy and Maya Angelou for Wm. Jefferson Clinton.
We're not finished yet. Next poem, please:
It's title is: Underground
Under water grottos, caverns
Filled with apes
That eat figs.
Stepping on the figs
That the apes
Eat, they crunch.
The apes howl, bare
Their fangs, dance
Tumble in the
Rushing water,
Musty, wet pelts
Glistening in the blue

The author of this is Barack Obama.
I'd like to offer my own opinion as to the winner but since I've never actually written a poem sober mine doesn't count. I select Alexander. The line about "the breast milk being shot straight across the room" has more of an earthy quality to it and is,well, slightly kinky. The "mustard-colored poop" thing was a big turnoff, though.
Sorry, Obama's just didn't do anything for me. Apes, fangs, wet pelts; what's up with that?
I wonder if Robert Frost can still roll over in his grave? Can Maya Angelou roll over in her grave if she's still alive? After being exposed to this I'm guessing she tries.
Pretty good entry, huh? And just think, it wouldn't have happened except for a Christmas Party. It is a wonderful life!

No comments: