Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Is This Bio Necessary?

Little things I notice. One of our congresswomen from the San Francisco area is Anna Eshoo(D) and she has garnered my attention. She is promoting a policy of taking the Fairness Doctrine to it's ultimate level. If you aren't familiar with the Doctrine it basically says that radio shows must provide equal time for dissenting viewpoints. The FCC oversees this piece of government legislation. It was allowed to go away during the Reagan Administration but will likely be a topic of conversation in the upcoming Obama Administration. Since the 1980's, all-talk radio stations have increased from 212 to 2,140; mostly of the conservative type. There have been some liberal talk shows but for the most part they are around for a few months then fade due to lack of interest and advertising revenue; Air America being one of these. Congresswoman Eshoo wants to include satellite radio and cable news TV stations in the new FCC doctrine. You might ask; "wouldn't this destroy stations like MSNBC and Keith Olbermann?". Maybe, but this impact would be nil since viewership is pathetically low. I am not a huge fan of Bill O'Reilly at Fox News. I just really find him so full of himself that I find him difficult to watch. I don't think he needs to be "looking out for me". I can do it myself. Fact is, he just destroys Olbermann in the ratings and they share the same time slot. But, once again, the government is making rumblings at what we can or can't see or listen to. An implementation of this would be skirting the edge of communism since IT could take over total control of the airwaves.Then again, maybe this is only a rant from a typical liberal, West Coast nutcase, if there is such a thing.
Looking for more clues about Eshoo I went to her bio.
She is 67 years old, divorced with two children and writes that she is a Roman Catholic. I get so tired of explaining why this is so bogus I won't even try. But, why is it necessary for her to list her sexual orientation in her biography as "straight"? It'd be interesting to check every bio of every congress person to find out how many others do this. Is it because she's from the San Fran area? I mean, her picture belies her age. Air brushing can do a lot of good things for bad looking people but in her photo she's looking very attractive. I thought so, anyway, and when it comes to Liberals I can be more than selective. After all, when I think Liberal woman, I think Janet Reno or Madeline Albright. Maybe, just maybe, it's a lot tougher living in SF than one could imagine especially if one is as Ms. Eshoo claims to be--a straight person. Have you ever seen film of a Gay Pride parade?

No comments: