Tuesday, December 30, 2008

uber-cool

There is a recent picture of our President-elect floating around. Reuters news service has titled it: Uber-Cool. It shows Obama with a ball cap on backward. This may be a small thing but, for me, the quirkiness of it requires further explanation from----- moi. In my high school coaching days my counterparts and I always noticed with great hilarity "wannabe dads" who, when a game got exciting, would flip their ball caps backward. Some of you may not be familiar with "wannabe". The dads who want to be where the action is, i.e. They fashion themselves as coaches since they watch a lot of sports on TV. We coaches, normally while scouting, used to make book on how long, during a game, it would take for the flip to occur. You could just feel it coming on. The wannabe was usually the president of the Booster Club and his son was a marginal player. They were so excitable a heart attack was always on the table. If their team came from behind to go ahead you knew the cap flip was imminent. Wannabes always wanted to hang out with the coaching staff. Lord knows why. If you were a banker making six figures would you hang out with a bunch of schmucks making 30K? Better question: if you could afford Chivas Regal why would you want to be with the guys who knew a 12 pack of Milwaukee's Best could set back their kids college fund? I guess it's just a guy thing. And, don't take offense if some of you readers occasionally do this flippy thing. Sometimes Tiger does it when lining up a putt. Brett Favre does it on the sidelines putting on a headset. I'm not a carpenter or plumber but I can imagine a "flip" when working in close quarters.
I'm placing Barack in with the 'guy thing'. He plays a lot of basketball with his buds. I'm now 62. In my early years I was a baseball catcher in Little League, Babe Ruth League, High School, college and semi-pro. God strike me dead if I'm lying but, except for my baseball days, I have never worn a cap backward. When I was younger it just wasn't hip. Actually, I doubt anyone thought of it. If someone did another guy would just say, "hey, why is your cap on backwards?". Yep, in my youth no one would call a guy "dude" either. It's like the High Five. Who knew?
Personally, after January 20, I do not want to see the occupant of the Oval Office with a cap on backward--anytime, anywhere!
It just doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence when I see this from the leader of the free world unless he, Vladimir Putin or Hugo Chavez get in a pick-up game of hoop. But this is just me. I used to get irritated looking at Bubba's milky white, flabby thighs when he tried to make us think he was a runner. I'll give Clinton this much. I don't think he was a flipper.

No comments: