Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Denny's

My fog brain doesn't pick up on the obvious. TV time is precious for me. A number of years ago it was, 'Please don't take my MTV'. For me it's the same except drop the 'M'. In the last two weeks I've seen a Denny's commercial showing tough guys and cowboys eating foo-foo pancakes. A waitress or whatever says something about, "why not have a real breakfast?" Conservatively speaking, I have seen this commerical fifty times.
This morning, from lucianne.com, comes a story by CNN. Slap me upside the head. I did not realize that Denny's was giving away a free Grand Slam breakfast; two cakes, two eggs, two bacon strips and two sausage links. It took place yesterday at all Denny's locations in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico. That's 1,500 locations and, by estimate, feeding an extra 2 million people. This was a very gracious gesture. Actually, it's a business promotion but so what.
The writer for CNN is Jim Kavanaugh. It was a nice article---until he came to the end. I guess it's because we're in politically correct times but was it necessary to make an emphasis of the story be: One breakfast is equal to 44 grams of fat, 56 carbs and 770 calories? Who cares, except media boobs. It was FREE.
When will we learn to leave good enough alone? When will I realize TV has taken over my life?

No comments: