Thursday, February 5, 2009

digital or analog

THE federal government just gave a break to lazy folks. You all know about the switch from analog to digital TV. But maybe it's the other way around. Maybe not. I think it has something to do with receiving a clearer picture and it might be cheaper but that can't be right since the government's involved. Some time ago, last summer for sure, the FCC was supplying coupons to make up the cost of buying a box to be used on TV's with antennas. Last I knew the only people using these old fashion TV's were Inuit tribes in northern Alaska, small groups of Navaho in the southwest and a couple of West "by God" Virginians. I mean, who doesn't have cable? The TV coupons were worth $40 so the actual price of the adapter came to $10. At least for me it did. I bought them for my lake cabin. It really doesn't make any difference if I bought them, either. We can only get two stations and one's PBS. Now, we learn that the Feds are going to provide another $600 million in the spending package for an incentive to get some more free stuff. Our Congress, today voted to push back the date for the big switchover from February to June 12. And some of you say Congress doesn't pass meaningful legislation. This also means those who didn't buy on time get a grace period. It won't mean squat. I taught school. I know people. Old-timers in their seventies, with saggy butts and bad feet are the same as 17 year-olds when it comes to doing a required task. As a teacher, if I extended the due date on a project from December 19 to May 31 90% of the students would start their project on May 30. It'll be the same with the old folks. They'll start thinking about their adapter purchase on June 11 and then bitch and whine and give every possible excuse as to why they didn't have a chance to get their government bought adapter; their dog ate their car; something really believable. Besides, it's just another entitlement for loafers. I've decided if lazy guys can get by watching TV that I'm paying for then I want a coupon for an ipod, dvd player and one of those cool 12'X12" computers. After that I want a new Cadillac Escalade, some wireless telephones, a blackberry, an airplane and a Shetland pony for my grandson.
After all, it's free, isn't it?

No comments: