Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Home At Last

There's something very nice about being home; getting home, arriving home; being in one's own bed. My whirlwind trip ended yesterday and I plopped in bed at 3:30 am. Ahhhhh!
Every day of the trip was different. I attended a Minnesota Timberwolves basketball game. I took three of my high school classmates and was a guest of the T-Wolves. I never envisioned I would hold in my hand a $600 game ticket, especially in this time of economic crisis. Amazing! A day later, at a spot on the Mississippi River near Wabasha, Minnesota, where open river water meets the ice, I witnessed at least 60 Bald Eagles feeding. Very amazing!
On this trip I saw at least thirty people I hadn't seen in over a year. What's good about this is folks are genuinely happy to see you. You get kisses from the ladies and hugs from the guys.
I visited the grave site of Abraham Lincoln on Tuesday. It's been fifty-five years since I've been there and it was a somber thrill.
I attended a high school basketball game last night in Rochester, Illinois. The coach, Jim Egan, is retiring this year after thirty-five years and 537 wins. He's in the Illinois Coaches Hall of Fame. I coached with him twenty-two years ago. I saw a tournament game and his team was defeated so he's done. He's the very best high school coach I know; no ego and extremely smart.
The very best thing about the end of the trip; when I jumped into bed my wife was there.

No comments: