Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hal G. Lyness

There may be two or three people who read this post who will recognize this man. There may be twenty others who will recognize an individual in their lives who had the same impact on them.
If asked about my high school years and what I remember most I would say: I had some outstanding teachers but more than this they were wonderful parents. They set examples to take with us on how to raise children.
Hal Lyness died two days ago. He was 81 years old. He taught senior economics and he was one of these family men. He was also a caricature. I'd say he was 5'10" and weighed 135 lbs. He had a waist size of 30, maybe. It seems as though his pant waistline was about chest high. If you think scarecrow that would be our teacher. When he went to the chalkboard and started writing, both arms would flap in and out. He looked like a stork getting ready to take flight. He spoke in a high pitched voice. And do you know what? No one ever made fun of our teacher. We had tremendous respect for who he was, what he represented and what he had to say. Mr. Lyness taught us common sense things. He taught us about amortizing a home; what foods to buy and not to buy based on pricing and how to pay for a car. He taught us about recessions, depressions, recovery and prosperity.
I loved sports in high school. I lived for basketball, baseball and football. If I didn't have sports I would have invented them. As a student, if I liked the subject I gave it a B effort. If I didn't, well, anywhere from a D to a C.
When I graduated in 1964 the general consensus from my teachers and coaches was to get a job on the railroad. I would make good money. I would stay in Boone and raise a family. I was told by many to forget college. I was broken hearted. I was a so-so student but who wants to be told they can't do something? Most everyone told me I just didn't have what it took to make the grade. Most everyone but one! Mr. Lyness encouraged me to give it a shot. He might have been the first person, ever, to say, "Mike, you only go around once in life so try it".
I did go to college. I graduated, met my wife, became the father of three with five grandchildren. Thanks to you, Coach, life turned out darned good for me.
I never took the opportunity to personally thank Mr. Lyness for his words of confidence but that's the reason I'm writing this. I'm sure, now, that he knows and this is my tribute to him.

No comments: