Friday, August 27, 2010

Bucket List


I've been giving some thought to the movie, The Bucket List, with Jack Nicholson and that other guy who got his start on the kids show, Electric Company, oh yeah, Morgan Freeman. I'd never heard of a 'bucket list' until then. Now, it seems like a fairly good idea. Last week, in this column, I mentioned that one of the things on my list was to have a Massey's Pizza, made in Columbus, Ohio. They're supposed to be tasty. I haven't gotten around to doing it yet but any day now------.
In three weeks I'll be on a fly-in fishing trip to the far reaches of northern Ontario. That qualifies as a 'lister' but it's almost too big time for me. I'm more into the KISS type of lists.
In the last few days I've fulfilled a couple of dreams. Since Lizzie has abandoned me by going to the lake I've checked off: running the clothes washer, clothes dryer and dishwasher. This is actually one of life's milestones and three more items have been checked off. Touche'!
A sole came off one of my golf shoes. Rather than take it to the cobbler(shoe repair man) I purchased what's called Shoe-Goo and did it myself! Another item in the can.
Once again, for me, the whole idea of a bucket list is to keep it simple: high expectations yield high failure rates which leads to frustration and massive depression. Then I give up and become content to watch TV; a very useless option.
In the next thirty days I plan on constructing a large list of kick the bucket ideas. Feel free to make suggestions. If I don't like them I'll check them off the list. This, too, would qualify for the bucket list. Ideas I don't like, and some people, warrant a huge check off.
You see, my philosophy in life mirrors that of Percy Kilbride in the "Ma and Pa Kettle" movies of the Fifites when he tells his wife, Marjorie Main, "We didn't get much done today, Ma, but we'll give 'er heck tomorrow". He's my kind of guy except I don't own a rocking chair. Aha! Buy a rocker. The list is endless.
"List on, my friends".

No comments: