Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Difference Between Them And Us

The Columbus Zoo is very nice. I haven't seen many rankings but I'm positive it's up there with the elite zoos of the country. Zoo Emeritus, Jack Hannah, is and has been a guest on Letterman and the old Johnny Carson Show. He'd bring in one or two animals, they'd crap on the host, then the audience laughed. It was a successful show and Hannah became famous. The Columbus Zoo is a ten minute drive from our home and it's a nice place to visit, in the morning especially, before it's overrun with wild and crazy mother's and their screaming and rude children. Lizzie and I are what are called 'patrons'. This means, for eighty dollars, we have access and parking to the zoo for a year. Our entry card is like a credit card with a nice picture of animals on the front. Two days ago Lizzie and I, along with our three year old granddaughter, made the trek over. I pulled up to the entrance booth and showed the card. A lady working for the zoo then proceeded to let me know that she couldn't read the expiration date on the card. According to her, the next time I used it I should hold the other corner of this card so she would easily be able to see my proper info. Damn! The nasty hag gave me a lecture on the proper way to hold an id card. I began to contemplate; would this bug every man no end the way it did me? It has to. I have to believe had the worker been a male, he would have taken the card out of my hand, looked at the proper numbers, handed it back to me then told me to enjoy my stay. That's the way I would have done it. And do you know why? Basically, it's because men don't give a crap about the small stuff. This leads me to another supposition. Do you think the female employee would have done this to another women or is it a part of the female vs. male superiority chain of command? e.g. I've been around long enough to know there's a right and wrong way to take out the garbage, to dry dishes, to breathe.
Had my wife(secondarily) and granddaughter(primarily) not been in the car I can promise what my response would have been. It would not have been pretty. But, knowing me, this is easy to understand. I do not enjoy starting off my day using the F word.

No comments: