Saturday, June 16, 2012

At The Lake-Finally

It's a 1000 mile haul from Muirfield Village in beautiful Dublin, Ohio to even more beautiful and tranquil Ten Mile Lake outside of Hackensack, Minnesota. We've had the cabin since 1994 and with massive improvements it's turned out to be our On Golden Pond. Three times in my life I've driven the trip non-stop; all sixteen hours of it. I wonder what it is about being in the sixties rather than the forties and fifties that causes behind the wheel body destruction. Journeys of any consequence are now done in what are called 'legs'; short bursts of motoring until the eyelids begin to droop. Aside from the Chicagoland adventure there was another dubious event that best explains my erratic behavior. While traversing Highway 30 a few miles west of Ft. Wayne, Indiana I spied a Wal-Mart. Since my wallet contained a few more bills than I'm used to and the butt needed some activity I felt this would be a good time to stop and pick up some necessaries for when I arrived in Minnesota. I've been on a 'sort of' non-sugar kick so I bought apples and bananas. There was toothpaste to purchase along with eye drops, extra underwear, and golfing socks. It was about twenty bucks or thereabouts. From this burg, Columbia City, I drove into Wisconsin and it was at Janesville I spied a Starbucks so I pulled in(I hate when this happens)for a twelve oz. cup of luscious Yukon Gold just to get me another fifty miles to Madison. I'm a pig by nature but even to me it was evident that the front end of my Mazda was loaded with papers, cups and trash in general and looked like the city dump. I did something I rarely do unless under duress from Lizzie. I cleaned the car. I grabbed a plastic bag and threw in the banana peels and apple cores along with some other junk and dropped it in the trash as I entered Starbucks. That night and four hours later as I was about to belly crawl into a motel I started looking for my Wal-Mart purchase. Then it hit me. I hope whoever takes out the trash at Starbucks in Janesville has the good fortune to look in the garbage. He or she will know it's my stuff especially if the BVD's read size 38.
In Madison I had dinner with a very lovely couple. The wife was a high school classmate of mine in 1964 and we had not spoken to or seen each other since then. It's a long story, but a nice one on how we got together. They're 'Iowa People'; good values, good humor and don't find it necessary put on the dog. In other words, the salt of the earth type of folks you want as friends.. I do have to mention that we met at the University of Wisconsin Memorial Union. I was one of a handful who did not have an Obama or Recall Walker bumper sticker on my car; a non-visual badge of honor.
It was another seven hour drive to the lake and with a stopover in Nekoosa, Wisconsin for golf I made it to 'Hack' at 10PM. The sun had just set. I was disappointed because it's a 2.3 mile trip on a gravel road to our place. Normally at that time of night I'll see deer, an occasional porcupine, fox or other nocturnal animals. Not this night.
It's been 24 hours since I've arrived. The car is still loaded and will be until tomorrow. I will be doing my favorite pastime for the next two days; sleeping. Also, I'll have to get some new underwear unless some of you kindly readers send me some of your stuff. Remember, it's size 38. No boxers, please.

No comments: