Monday, July 30, 2012

Are You Watching The Olympics

I have been so remiss in blogging the past few days I almost feel like I've abandoned my readers. Beginning last Saturday I drove to Des Moines and had breakfast with my all-time favorite assistant basketball coach. We were together for one year; 1974-75. He left after that and returned to Dowling High School in Des Moines. How do two people fill two hours in a 37 year absence? It had been that long since we had seen each other and there had only been two phone calls in that time. I goofed up. Regardless, he's still a fabulous man and I didn't think my day could get any better--but it did.
In the afternoon I spent a good two hours with a man who was in my high school class. We rarely spoke to each other and, over the years people told him I didn't care for him and other people related to me that he didn't much care for me. How silly is that. Anyway, I drove to his home in Johnston, Iowa and we chitchatted about boyhood days, classmates, aches and pains, politics--you name it. What a fabulous afternoon. The next day I drove hours to Belle Plaine, Iowa and met my old college baseball coach and his wife for lunch. He is the most amazing man and I owe him more than he'll ever know about life and living the right way.
On to Naperville, Illinois. The Sigma Nu Fraternity, Coe College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa for the years 1966-69 are meeting now for our annual golf and fun reunion. Man, these guys are getting old. Enough of this.
Are you watching the Olympics? Not me. Mitt Romney is owed an apology*. This thing is all screwed up. Have you seen the massive amount of vacant seats in all the venues? Are you noticing the number of political discussions that have interrupted the games; North Korea's flag was that of South Korea. A judo guy from Iran feigned illness he wouldn't have to compete against an Israeli. More of the Olympians were sent home for tweeting what were considered racist remarks, even though they weren't. The games that call for peace and brotherhood are still controlled by a bunch of grumpy old men.
I know people who are glued to the TV watching every single event: water polo, gymnastics, beach volley ball, rifle shooting; it's an endless list. I wouldn't watch these things any other time so why now?
The Univ. of North Carolina did a study on television  exposure. The most televised sports were those where females wore the least clothing. I wonder why that is.

*Police in charge of keeping the Olympics safe have lost the keys to Wembley Stadium. Scotland Yard admitted last night that it was to blame for the shocking breach. Search teams spent days desperately hunting for the keys after they were mislaid during the final preparations for the Games. Sources said it would cost up to £40,000 to replace the hi-tech laser keys. The latest fiasco threatened to further damage already fragile confidence in security arrangements for the Games. It also provoked a furious behind-the-scenes row between the police, Locog and private security firm G4S over who was responsible.

No comments: