Monday, October 14, 2013

Six Degrees Of Separation

"Six degrees of separation is the theory that everyone and everything is six or fewer steps away, by way of introduction, from any other person in the world, so that a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps. It was originally set out by Frigyes Karinthy and popularized by a play written by John Guare".

I have this neighbor who is the most interesting man I've ever met-----bar none. He knows everyone. A month ago we were sitting on the courtyard outside his condo telling stories. Mostly, I was listening to his stories when all of a sudden he said, "Last week I was having breakfast with George H. and George W. Bush"  I about fell over. I don't know why because he's forever telling me about his friends and acquaintances. I know I'll forget the names of many of his friends but I'll do my best to conjure them up: Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Nick Price, Gary Player, Sean Connery, Rick Pitino, John Boehner, Dick LeBeau of  the Pittsburgh Steelers: Oh, there are many more but I can't remember them all. My neighbor was an All-American football player at Ohio State and played on their 1958 Rose Bowl team. He was drafted by the Cleveland Browns but opted out to attend dental school. While doing this the legendary Ohio State football coach, Woody Hayes, asked him to coach the Freshman football team and he did. Get this. Two years ago he had a cancerous tumor on his shoulder the size of a grapefruit. He began taking experimental drugs from the Univ. of Pittsburgh and the University of Akron. That same tumor is now the size of a pea. He should be dead but he's alive, thank goodness, because he give me such great joy. The story gets better. His treatment was the injection of ovaries from hamsters. Who on God's green earth could come up with something like that? His comment was, "I feel great except I have an extreme fear of cats".
So, because Doc knows so many people then I know them, too, if one believes in the theory of Six Degrees of Separation.
I asked Doc how it was that he knew so many people. Was it because of his All-American status or maybe the contacts he made through dentistry"? "No", he said. "When I joined Muirfield Village Golf Club I was put in charge of amenities. Whatever and whenever any PGA player or guest of the club wanted something it was up to me to secure their request and make them have an enjoyable experience. Believe me when I tell you that I personally knew more high class hookers than anyone in Columbus, Ohio". And that's the truth. Hookers? They don't fall into my classification of Six Degrees. Not if I value 45 years of married bliss.

No comments: