Saturday, November 16, 2013

This n' That From Dublin, Ohio

The wife suggested I make a trip to Giant Eagle grocery store yesterday to pick up a few things. I did need coffee, quite badly, since I was out of my type. My type is anything that allows the end of a spoon to salute the ceiling. We've gotten into the habit of pretending we're on food stamps and trying to do the right thing by the government. In other words, we're shopping around. The Dollar Store has some excellent bargains; tomato soup that goes for 79 cents a can, peanut butter is about a dollar less expensive than at your established places. I used to be a Skippy man only, then went to Jiff but now store brands do nicely.
Since I was in a hurry I did all of my shopping at the Giant Eagle store. The final tally for 27.8 oz. of Folgers, a cheap bottle of shampoo, one loaf of bread and 4 cans of tomato soup came to $17.29. Doesn't that seem exorbitant? Being a parent with a growing family in 2013 is an invitation to the poor house.
Why would anyone do this--be a baseball manager for 4 year olds? Why would anyone be dumb enough to start a t-ball program for 4 year olds? My Texas grandson signed up for t-ball. He lives in San Antonio. Last July I taught him how to throw a baseball. You know what I mean, the left foot is in front as he throws since he's a righty. A notice came around to their neighborhood that t-ball was going to start for kids his age. This is insanity and I'll explain why. The night before his first practice young David asked his dad if there was tackling in baseball? Need I go on? Regardless, the season is over. David did learn to stop running at 1st base instead of continuing to the outfield fence. He did learn that when one runs the bases they should not take off for the pitchers mound or 3rd base. He now knows that his baseball glove works best when it stays on his left hand instead of the right one. After the season was over the coach gave out team awards. I'm so proud. David won the award for 'best smile'. He was also named the fastest player on the team----to first base.
We'll be leaving for, in this order, beginning in two weeks: Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, east Texas and San Antonio returning to Ohio(hopefully) by December 23. My spouse is a Christmas person. I'm not. Today I get to go into the garage attic and pull out our fake Christmas tree along with wreaths and bulbs. We'll assemble everything in the living room in preparation for the big day. If it was only me I would put a pine sprig on the front door and call it a day but a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do(to keep peace in the family).
Don't get me wrong. I like certain aspects of Christmas. Buying gifts for the unsuspecting and unknowing is a big part of it for me. I do detest receiving gifts, however. It's a Freudian thing. As a kid opening presents at Christmas my parents would say, "You'd better like this because we had to rob banks to buy it for you". I always figured they were that way because they were children of the Depression. Either that or they took great joy in mentally torturing us, or both.  One of my best friends in Columbus, or anywhere, asked me yesterday what I'd like for Christmas and I said, "Nothing". He's been looking for a new set of golf clubs and I thought it'd be nice if I purchased them for him. I won't but I thought about it. He'd feel guilty and have to run out and buy me something. The best way to buy someone a present, and I did this with the Council Bluffs Cowboy, is to say, "This isn't a gift. I saw it and thought you'd like it so don't buy anything for me". It's good to be up front.
Now if you'll excuse me, a plastic tree awaits.

No comments: