Saturday, November 29, 2014

My Wife Knows Ray Rice

There are times when my wife makes a profound statement. Up until today it has never been about sports. She doesn't know sports and she doesn't care if the world knows it. She's the kind of person who when asked, "Do you watch sports", she responds with, "Yes, I've fallen asleep in front of the TV many times"? When we watch a game and the camera pans the crowd she'll ask, "What's that players wife thinking right now"? I'll answer, "Don't know". But, under my breath I'll say, "Why me, Lord".

The Ray Rice decision came down yesterday. In the 24 hour news cycle you may have forgotten him. He is the former Baltimore Ravens football player who performed the 'Cave Man' act on his wife. He punched her out in an elevator then drug her by the hair down a hotel hallway. Far be it from me to criticize the way husbands treat their wives but this might out have out rather extreme.

The Ravens dropped Rice from the team(under duress from the press and public, I'm sure). He appealed his dismissal and yesterday was reinstated to the league.

My wife and I were listening to the car radio this morning on our way to visit our grandchildren. On came a news report asking the question, will another team chance taking Ray Rice? And out of the know nothing sports mouth came this; "Someone will take him in a New York minute. If a man has the aggression to beat up his wife think what he'd do to an opponent". She continued, "Isn't that what football is all about".

For not knowing diddly squat she's one smart lady.

No comments: