Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Remember When It Was Cranberries

I'm not certain of the year. It might have been 1958 or 1959. I do recall it was a week or so before Thanksgiving when the word came out that cranberries caused cancer. Knowing what we know today a producer of some product to replace those red berries might have slipped a scientist 100K to come up with a ruse. It didn't bother me because I'd eat crappy Strongheart dog food before I'd put one of those red berries in my mouth.

Here we go again with the cancer nonsense but this time I'm angry. They've targeted one of my favorites; asparagus.

'Breast cancer patients could be encouraged to cut asparagus and other foods from their diets in the future to reduce the risk of the disease spreading, scientists say.
Researchers are investigating whether a change in diet could help patients with breast tumours after studies in mice showed that asparagine, a compound first identified in asparagus but present in many other foods, drives the spread of the disease to other organs.
When scientists reduced asparagine in animals with breast cancer, they found that the number of secondary tumours in other tissues fell dramatically. The spread of malignant cells, often to the bones, lungs and brain, is the main cause of death among patients who are diagnosed with breast cancer.'
UK Mail

No comments: