Friday, May 10, 2019

Being A Bachelor Isn't All That It's Cracked Up To Be

The Queen has been in Scotland for one week with another to go. She's attending the 500th anniversary of the MacRae Clan's castle construction. I'm happy for her. So far she's met cousins from Red Wing, Minnesota and Duluth, Minnesota. I'm sure there are others but she only mentioned them via email since we summer in that area.

It's weird to say this but I very much miss her. I could imagine if I was in my 30's or 40's I'd be ecstatic about being a bachelor. I could really kick up my heels and get into all kinds of trouble. When one is in their 70's and have been married for 49 years they miss their partner. Sometimes we even talk to each other.

I'm the typical male, though. She'd be appalled at how our condo looks. When she's gone I normally wait until the day before she returns before massive clean up begins; doing the dishes, cleaning the toilets, washing clothes and, most important, bed sheets and pillow cases. I wouldn't want her to find remnants of peanut butter sandwiches in bed.

I emailed a friend of mine this morning and tried to explain what a mess this place looks like. The only vision I could come up with is think San Francisco where the homeless hang out. The only thing missing are feces and syringes on the floor.

Charlie and I will be heading out for Cincinnati this afternoon to watch our 14 year old run in a track meet. He's sort of a wunderkind in that department.

When I return home tomorrow evening I'll pick up some clothes, maybe. I'll put some more dishes in the washer, maybe.

Let's see. She flies in next Saturday and arrives at 4 PM. Aw, the the heck. If I get up early on Saturday I'm certain I'll be able to accomplish my goals.

No comments: