Saturday, May 18, 2019

Observations From A Guy Who Doesn't Know Very Much

I looked at a political cartoon this morning in the Columbus Dispatch. It showed Trump carrying a quiver with a bow and a few arrows. He had been aiming at a bulls eye with the word China written on it. Across from him was a farmer with five arrows in his rear end while holding one. The farmer said, "I think these belong to you." This must be in reference to The Donald's tariffs.

It seems to me people who know very little, even less than I, have an opinion on farmers and how they're getting screwed over by the tariffs. And I'm very ignorant about farmers.

Most of you know I'm an Iowan born and bred for forty-three years. I've been on a farm. I've seen soybeans, pigs, cattle and horses. I'm educated, sort of, in that I've had to help The Queen pay household bills for almost fifty years but I don't know much about farm prices or farm supports. I do know that during the Great Depression FDR did everything he could under the New Deal to keep farmers in business. Another thing I know is that Iowa's two Republican Senators, Chuck Grassley and Joni Ernst have done everything possible to support farmers as they grow corn and other products that produce sugar to be used for ethanol which, by the way, loses billions of dollars every year as opposed to the real fuel.

The other thing I know about farmers is that the old Iowa Hawkeye football coach, Hayden Fry had the letters ANF(America Needs Farmers)put on the team helmets.

Getting to the nitty gritty, not just on farmers, but every action taken by the government there are going to be whiners. Once again in today's Dispatch there was a letter to the editor from one Holly Richard complaining Trump's policies don't help everyone. Get real, kid. Everyone includes what, 330 million people? Holly, be happy with what you've got.

The lefties are crying wolf about the tariffs. Everything under the sun is going to go way up in price. One of the newscasters told us the price of kale and beets would go through the roof. This is good. I hate the junk. Televisions, too, will jump in price. Ooh! Make do folks. I learned this today. China has been screwing us on tariffs for a good long time. Finally, someone is fighting back. But, I don't much care about tariffs because, well, when it comes to intelligent subjects, I don't know that much.

I have another observation I'd like to make if you will. There are probably 23 Democrats running for the highest office in the land. Except for three or four all of them are Senators, Governors or members of the House of Representatives. We're still a year and a half from the election. How can these people be on the campaign trail for a year and a half(some since six months ago) and do their legislative jobs? Aren't we paying their salaries?
That is a great question on my part, isn't it?

Finally, my last observation deals with foreign policy and world conflagration. It was maybe a year or so ago when we were having problems with North Korea. Her Majesty asked me if I was concerned with World War III and was North Korea a threat. I don't know much but I answered her this way: No, NK is not a threat and we are not going to have a great war. We aren't going to go to war against Iran, either. Someday, we might have the big showdown with China or Russia but--------I don't care. What could MJ Hawkeye do about it? Chris Matthews and the Rev. Al Sharpton would be able to turn the tables at the same speed as me which is not.

I prefer being ignorant on most subjects. There are more important aspects of life; family and the Chicago Cubs are a good start.

No comments: