Thursday, December 12, 2019

Sniffing Around With Charlie

Since I've become a pet owner it seems I learn things about canines that we never on my radar. I always knew Fido's everywhere had a keen sense of smell but what I found out is ridiculous.

Dog's in general have a sense of smell ranging anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 great than humans. I don't know why the disparity. Maybe it's because a St. Bernard has a bigger nose than a poodle.

This I know. If Charlie's in bed at night, sleeping, and I try to sneak downstairs and grab any delicacy he's up and sniffing before I hit the top of the stairs.

Here's one thing I do not understand. Dogs smell to never forget who and where. So, if they smell so good why is it they always stick their nose in another dogs do-do without giving it a second thought? They could smell this stuff from a block away yet they have to be thinking, "Hey, I just got a whiff of Barney's do do. I think I'll run the two blocks and get big time smell by sticking my nose in it".

Speaking of Charlie, he's a Cairn Terrier. Cairn Terriers come out of Scotland. Cairn's were bred to chase down and kill rats.

We had a mouse running around the living room, the kitchen and my man cave the other day. It was 4 pm and since Mickey normally comes out after the sun goes down I figure it must have been retarded. Even so,  Charlie chased and chased and chased but that little critter could stop on a dime, move left and right and leave Charlie with 9 cents change.

A couple hours later after the Queen and Charlie had gone to bed I shut off the TV and was preparing ti walk upstairs I looked down and there the mouse was, lying on its back with it's spindly paws straight up facing the ceiling. Don't ask me how or why. Didn't I write earlier it must have been retarded?

Retarded with a bad ticker is the most likely scenario.

No comments: