Thursday, December 12, 2019

Why Would Anyone Want To Be A High School Coach

I read an article out of the Jacksonville, Illinois newspaper. There's a Catholic school in town, Routt by name, that has employed a man as the high school baseball coach for over thirty years. He is well-respected in town as an educator, or so he thought. His teams have won numerous state championships.

Anyway, on Monday of this past week the principal called him into his office at the end of the day. Said coach was told he was being fired as the coach because--------he was too 'old school'. Yes, he was demanding in asking the players to be accountable. By 'old school' my educated suspicion is he, the coach, didn't have the modern day policy of sports being for participation not success.

Since I used to be in the same position as the coach I can also offer another tidbit. A dollar to a doughnut there are disappointed parents involved because their Johnny didn't get to start or play in games.

My best buddy in Wisconsin, a Hall of Fame high school football coach said it best: "In the next life when I come back to coach it'll be in an orphanage".

No comments: