Saturday, November 20, 2010

An Auto Rental P.S.A.

Did You know? Don't you hate it when informative pieces start off with 'did you know'? It makes the writer sound to be such a know it all.
Sorry people but I've got one of these for you. Did you know if you want to rent a car, economy style, from Dollar Rent a Car for $28 a day it costs a lot more than that? If not returned to the original point of origin prepare to open the wallet. I needed to fly to the Midwest on Dec. 8. A ticket to Des Moines, one way, is $202. One purchased to Kansas City is $98 plus tax. Me being the cleverly smart guy that I am went for the cheaper ticket. I could get a cheap rental from the KC airport and drive the three hours to Des Moines and save some serious coin except, it doesn't work that way. After buying my ticket from Southwest I went online to rent a car. Did you know there is a drop off fee of $198 to Des Moines plus out of state taxes not to mention the gas and a few hundred other items. Total cost for my economy vehicle to drive 175 miles, Cha Ching-----$298.00 Did you know I told Dollar to go to hell? Did you know every other rental dealer has the same deal?
These yahoos tried to tell me that after I drop the car they need to send a man to that site to drive the car back to point of origin. What a maroon I am. I thought that when a car was driven to one place it stayed there until some other yokel came along and then rented the car to yet another drop zone, for instance, Kansas City.
Did you know after doing this entire scenario I feel like I've never left Hicksville.

No comments: