Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Then They Came For Me

Peter Heck in The American Thinker. Peter is a high school teacher in Indiana.

Most everyone is familiar with the German anti-Nazi activist Martin Niemoller's renowned "First They Came" poem. It is an ageless and frightening reminder of the need for eternal vigilance in defense of human rights and freedom.

I submit the 2010 American version:

They first came for the light bulbs, and I didn't speak up because I'm okay with fluorescents.
Then they came for the salt, and I didn't speak up because I have high cholesterol.
Then they came for the air conditioners, and I didn't speak up because I live up north.
Then they came for the Happy Meals, and I didn't speak up because I'm a Wendy's guy.
Then they came for the Oreos at school parties, and I didn't speak up because I'd already graduated.
Tyranny is timeless. Whether it is born of good intentions or not, seeking to deprive citizens of their autonomy and independence is not a recipe for human happiness, but rather misery.

No comments: