Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day 3 Of The Potato Diet

Here's the deal about dieting: eat foods you hate. Yesterday I found a salad bag in the fridge left over from last week. The leafs were only three-quarters brown so I thought, "what can it hurt"? Add some low fat Western dressing and I've made myself a lunch fit for a pauper. There is only one food I absolutely detest that doesn't hit my mouth; it's squash. This is Lizzie's comfort food. I'd rather eat Canadian goose eggs raw than put that crap down my gullet.
I don't normally eat salads at home. As you may have heard salads are what food eats. As long as I'm on the subject, why is it that beef cattle can eat hay, oats, corn, grass and lichens and still get big and fat, not to mention tasty? I do eat salads when Lizzie and I go to fancy restaurants. Don't ask me why. Maybe it's a status symbol. Personally, I'd rather snag two sandwiches at Chick fil A for six bucks than sit down at a Ruth Chris and pay a million dollars. Wanna hear a great story? About fifteen years ago I was in a group of six of guys who went to a Ruth Chris in Dublin, Ohio. We were all sufficiently lubricated and I always turned into Mr. Big Spender when I was that way. My buddy, Mont, who was like a surrogate dad was with us and I wanted to treat he and the other guys. When the bill arrived after dinner I snapped it up and paid. Including tip it came to $400.00.
Just prior to me putting my card on the bill tray my best buddy snuck out into the hallway and told the maitre de that he wanted to pick up the bill but didn't want anyone to know about it. He paid with cash. Pretty funny, huh? It wasn't until two weeks later that my pal and I were discussing the dinner when he told me what he had done. In a situation like this a compassionate person would have said nothing but since I'm not that way I said, "Buddy, you're an idiot" and then told him why! We laugh about that one a lot.
The second thing about dieting happens in the first three days. It is important to semi-shrink the stomach; to get used to feeling hungry. After a period of 72 hours hunger takes on the feeling of "I'm a lean, mean fighting machine". If I can start with two protein shakes a day and munch down on two baked potato's for my evening dinner, Ala onions, peas and catsup, I've got it made. The difficult part of dieting happens between six and bedtime. Good intentions are in the toilet during this four hour period. It's almost as if a person goes into a coma. They absolutely forget about their no-graze policy, then, after consuming a gallon of cookie dough ice cream, they slap the forehead and ask themselves, "What have I done"? But the easy out is, "I'll start tomorrow". Not for me. I'm on day three and have this thing almost licked. Two days ago I stepped on the scale and it read 210. This morning I was looking at 150. This baked potato diet is amazing. My goal is to get down to my original weight: 7 lbs. 11 ozs.

No comments: