Thursday, March 29, 2012

Goodness Gracious Great Balls Of Fire


Is there a better example of masochism than getting married for the seventh time? Jerry Lewis is about to do just that. Lewis, back in the 50's, was a slightly wilder version of Elvis. His claim to fame happened when he married a 13 year-old, his cousin once removed. I always like his songs. Unlike Elvis I can't remember that he ever sang a ballad. He always belted out vocals like his hair was on fire.
Anyway, he's getting married again, for the seventh time. That scares me just thinking about it. Two years ago I was on a fishing trip to Canada with eight guys. Each day we were paired with a different fisherman. On the last day I was stuck with a guy named Jim. He was on his second marriage. His first wife died ten years ago and, I am so serious about this, all he did was talk about his first wife; how much he missed and loved her. Fun stuff, huh?. It was like being in prison for a thousand years with Charles Manson as a roomie. Well, after the day was done, he told me what a wonderful time he had had and how we should do this again sometime. All the while I was thinking to myself, "if Lizzie died ten years ago I don't think I could remember her first name".
I hope the 76 year-old Jerry Lee Lewis enjoys his wedded bliss. Dollar to a doughnut he can't remember his other six wives's names, either.

No comments: