Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Questioning A Persons Blackness

Providence

When I was teaching high school in the 80's I had quite a few Blacks in my classes. One day we were discussing 'blackness' as it pertained to social strata. In other words, and this came from the students, the more "White" a person the higher they were amalgamated into the mainstream. The darker a persons skin color the less a person they were----in their society.
Since that time we've seen this Blackness apply to politics. If a person is black and supports the Republican/Conservative parties they become sellouts to the cause.

Read this article and attachment from a Black perspective to better understand:
Op-ed by Providence Crowder:

Recently, many black people have questioned my blackness. Apparently, for some, I’m not black enough.

But, what makes the claim so bogus to me is that our bi-racial president has been accepted as black by the black masses, even though his mother is white and he was raised by his white grandparents.  

http://www.minorityreporter.net/fullstory/fullstory.php?id=1865

 Some people have said what makes a person black is “the struggle.” What struggle, I ask? What more does Obama know about struggle than me? For a very brief time he lived in Indonesia, but, even in Indonesia, he lived a fairly comfortable life.

Here, in America, he has lived a privileged life, gone to top notch schools and colleges—and he hasn’t even spent enough time around black people to pick up, as one Democratic politician put it, a so-called “negro dialect.”



No comments: