Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Autumn In Northern Minnesota

It might be the first day of autumn. It might be but I'm not certain. Time stands still when you're bored.

Regardless, here in northern Minnesota at the lake the leaves have changed to their fall colors; yellow, red and some green abound.

To add more credence to their complexion it was only a week ago that slight yellowish colors began to make their presence and now leaves flutter to the ground as if they were being shaken from atop the branches.
For those who love being at the lake it's a sad time. Another year come and another year gone and soon Ten Mile Lake will be covered with its layers of Arctic ice and snow. For those who don't really care that much about being at the lake it's also a bad time of year. It means I have to wash the boat inside and out. Rich people can hire this done. I'm still doing it. Consequently, I can take a two hour job and get it done in fifteen minutes. I always tell myself come next spring I'll give it a good and thorough washing then when Spring arrives I say, "Ah heck, I'll do it in the Fall". And so it goes, year after year.

I spent some time in the garage putting away my fishing gear and fuddled with a couple or rods. The new hundred dollar rod I'd recently purchased and never used magically fell to the floor and the tip snapped. And so it goes.

The biggest task of the day was to shove my boat trailer from our yard down a path to the boat landing at my neighbors. I did it then figuratively patted myself on the back for a job well done. I then laid down in my neighbors yard, looked up at the blue skies and stayed there until I was certain I wasn't having a heart attack.

I wonder where the Loons hung out this year. Many days I was on the lake quite awhile catching nothing. Normally, I'll see ten or twenty of these ring necked, almost feetless animals while I'm wasting fuel but this year only four. They may know more about snow and sleet than I. Can you say, "Hello Acapulco".

I've convinced the wife I'm going to spend the bulk of the 'Summer of 15' up here. She's gullible that way. After all, she married me didn't she?
Let's face it. I have the wanderlust. That's why I can't stay in one place too long. You'd never have to worry about me wearing out my welcome as a visitor. There is very little dust that settles on my boots.

I'm anxious to get on the road. It's a sixteen hour drive home and I've planned my trip in detail. I have this down to a science. After dropping off my wife at the Minneapolis airport and with side trips and visits to see friends I might be in Ohio in six days. At my age I don't like to push it but driving at 45 mph an hour down I-94 tends to irritate some of the young whippersnappers. There's a reason God gave me a middle finger.

No comments: