Friday, November 27, 2015

Here We Go Hawkeyes Here We Go

If you aren't a fan of the Iowa Hawkeyes then kindly move along. Furthermore, If you don't follow all the teams from Iowa then I feel sadly for you.

We have a big game coming up today against the Nebraska Cornhuskers. The Hawks are ranked #3 in the nation and have the #4 seed, at present, for the National Championship series. The media are seemingly upset that Iowa is ranked so highly. It's the same is when teams like the Kansas City Royals are in the World Series. According to them it's not a real World Series unless the Yankees and Dodgers are playing.

I'm not so much a fan of the Hawkeyes as I am of our great State. As an example, in 1968 I flew to Europe. Our landing location was Luxembourg. As the plane circled the airport a couple next to me started crying tears of joy. They were so very excited to be returning to their homeland that can't be more than 15 miles wide east to west. It's not like they were returning to Shangri La.

 I get the same nostalgic feeling when I cross the Mississippi River that rolls by Davenport, aka, Quad-Cities USA. The only difference is I don't blubber like a stuck calf when entering our border.

I have never, not once in my seventy years, seen the Hawks lose---not once. If they're behind and it gets down to the last two seconds I shut off the television. When I'm certain the game is concluded I turn the channel back on. If a miracle happens I'm not bothered by missing it. Replays are oh so wonderful. This happened a few years ago when the Iowa quarterback, Drew Tate, through a sixty yard pass on the game's last play and my team defeated LSU in a bowl game.



Remember this Iowa and today's game: The beer commercial fella who is the most interesting man in the world said it best: "I don't often watch Big Ten football but when I do it's to see the only team that is undefeated".

No comments: