Sunday, October 23, 2016

GO CUBS!

Up until 1966 this guy was a bigger than huge Milwaukee Braves fan. Then, my beloved team up and left the Brew City, for more money, of course, to Atlanta. Is there no loyalty, I asked, to a city who loved them so? I should have recalled how the city of Boston must have felt when the Braves lest Beantown in the early 50's but I didn't.

Typically, baseball fans glom onto a team in their area unless they want a winner every year. In that case, at the time, an easy choice would have been the Yankees. But, I needed a challenge. Being an Iowan the Minnesota Twins were a possibility. The Cardinals weren't. That would be like cheering for the devil. I needed a real challenge, one that required a biblical David. There was only one team to fill my needs and it was the Chicago Cubs.

I've been a die-hard since 1969. The pain and hurt over the years was immense. Many times it was akin to having to go through a divorce day after day, year after year. But I still loved the loveable losers.

Last night my dreams came true. "Hey, we're in the World Series". Some would say, "Oh, all I wanted was for my team to get there and whatever happens happens. Not me. My mantra is, "Take names and kick ass".
I want the Cubbies to sweep. Yeah, baby!

No comments: