Monday, October 17, 2016

"Hey, Why Not Go For A Walk"

The Queen came up with what I considered to be an excellent suggestion this morning. "Why not go for a walk this afternoon", she said.

I used to be a walker. Hell, I used to be a runner then a jogger and ended up being a walker. Now I'm at the stage when I almost have to use a walker.

Don't get me wrong. Exercise is good and I get plenty of it in spring, summer and fall----walking from my cart to the golf ball and back again. Then I'll eventually land on the putting green and it's another journey of exercise.

Actually, walking isn't that big of a problem for me unless my left hip acts up. If I don't feel like walking then I'll just say, "Honey, my hip isn't very good today". It always works.

When a person hits 70 their body changes---internally--- and bad stuff happens---in a heartbeat.

In our compound at Muirfield Village there are walking trails traversing through the woods for 26 miles. Now, if I'm by myself, I would enjoy this. My suspicion is trees were made for dogs and humans when it comes to bladder elimination. But, at my age the worst aspect of walking is the infamous number 2. This can sneak up on the average person, men usually, faster than Bonnie and Clyde could rob a bank.

So, today I had to contemplate my acceptable map, places I could go and not go and the reason is I ate a pint of ice cream last night along with a box of delicious cookies. The 'around the block' route is good but boringly tedious. Since I'd have my partner with me it meant we couldn't walk in the woods regardless of the fact we've been married 47 years.

Then it hit me. We live three miles from the world famous Columbus Zoo and since we happen to be members my problems would be solved and they were---three different times.

What an enjoyable day looking at flamigo, seals, giraffes et al and buildings with pictures of men and women on the front within easy walking distance.

Whew!


No comments: