Monday, December 7, 2009

Christians vs. ACLU

I have two questions I need answered and they are unrelated to each other. The University of Alabama played The University of Florida in the championship football game of The Southeast Conference last Saturday. I could care less about the outcome. I've never been a fan of Alabama football. I don't care much for Florida, either. The person I do like and admire is the quarterback for Florida, Tim Tebow. The young man won the Heisman Trophy, emblematic as the best football player in college, two years ago. During his tenure the Gators have won two National Championships. My reason for respecting Tebow is because of the way he wears his Christianity; not a phony Christian but one who walks the walk better than he talks the talk. He comes by this naturally. His parents are missionaries and have instilled some very fine values into their son.
You do know how footballers put eye black under their eyes. I think it's mostly for style and, in some cases, to send a message. Terrell Prior from Ohio State had 'Vick' under his eyes earlier in the year alluding to dog killer, Michael Vick. I don't think this was sending a good message. Tebow had a message, too. The message was: John 33:16. I thought that was great because Tim Tebow is that kind of kid. Did you think I'd forget the question? Well, I didn't. Since the University of Florida is a state school funded by taxpayer money how long will it take for the ACLU to sue Tebow and the Florida football team for praying in public? After all this is a huge separation of church and state issue. There must have been millions of atheists all across the nation appalled at Tebow's disregard for the US Constitution. Tebow's very popular in the Sunshine state but they did lose to 'Bama so it's difficult to guage the support the Florida team would receive. Even so, wouldn't it be great to watch this scenrio unfold?
Second question: Doggone it! Since I started writing the Tebow thing I forgot what I was going to ask. It'll come to me, though, so hang in there.

No comments: