Sunday, December 27, 2009

Shhhhhhh.

It's ten pm and the wife is asleep. It's a good opportunity for me to jog down some notes on our DC vacation. Yesterday was a drizzly bone chilling, cold day. Our stop to the Antietam Creek Civil War battle site more than took off the edge of a nasty day. Antietam, the Battle of Sharpsburg for southerners, saw the greatest number of one day battle causalities and deaths in our history; 23,000 total with 6,400 deaths. Tragic. I taught high school American History for a number of years and, upon seeing the site, was amazed at the size of the area; over 8,000 acres. Visiting battle grounds is always a humbling experience and also gives a deeper appreciation of pride and patriotism for those who sacrificed.
Our anniversary celebration was spent at George Washington's Mount Vernon, the Museum of Natural History and the National Archives. I only wanted a glance of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence just to say I'd seen them.
If we had desired we could have pillaged, plundered and burned every city in Pakistan, South Korea, Japan and India. I'm wondering how every citizen from each country was in DC at the same time. I'm glad my wife speaks English. If I was by myself I wouldn't have had anyone to talk to. The evening was topped off with a fine Italian meal. We decided to forego the ritzy French res. taurant.Today we're on the lookout for the very best hamburger in DC. It'd better be good, too. Wendy's has my heart with their 99 cent Double Stack.
Life is good and after today we're on our way to our 41st anniversary and still speaking to each other.

No comments: