Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Aftermath Of A Tragedy

I'll take a backseat on the Chardon, Ohio shooting tragedy of yesterday without getting too much involved. I was in the town of 5,000 one time as the representative of my company. It's possible the customer was a chemical plant. It's also possible I met the mom or dad of one of the victims. Chardon has a nice downtown. It's one of those with a town square. I even purchased a Henry Aaron baseball card there for $60. Something must have impressed me about the community to remember this tidbit of information. Chardon is middle America or it was until yesterday.
It's going to be tedious reading news reports about the aftermath. Every little sentence uttered from anyone in the community will be taken as gospel. Folks from Chardon, Fox News, MSNBC, the White House; everyone with an agenda will give themselves the constitutional right to an opinion. Since I've been to the site of these murders, once, I could be considered an expert interviewee, or so I could tell the media.
A fifteen year old was interviewed immediately after the killing(s); said the shooter had been bullied. Right away that's the headline in all the media. Then I read another account saying the shooter had not been bullied; that he had friends. This crime will become fodder for those calling for gun control and others who will demand that gun rights will be protected. In other words, he who talks last wins.
Folks, we live in strange times but------not that strange. There have been murders and murderers all through our nations history. It's going to happen again. If you think I'm wrong then you've never heard of Charlie Starkweather or the infamous Richard Speck.

No comments: