Sunday, February 2, 2014

Super Bowl Sunday

I never cease to amaze myself about myself. Here I am a former high school basketball coach who also put in fourteen of his twenty year of my tenure on the football field and I could care less about the Super Bowl. The very last time I came close to watching a Super Bowl football game was when Peyton Manning was playing for the Indianapolis Colts. Was it 2006 or 2007? I was in a motel in Terre Haute, Indiana. It was brutally cold outside. The motel manager was either a Paki or an Indian. That I do remember. He asked if I wanted to watch the game with him. "Thanks, but no thanks", I said. Let me set the scene. He was in the office breakfast room. His wife and mother in law were there, too. They were wearing brightly colored dresses with their faces covered by veils and they sat on either side of him. They didn't move or utter a sound. It was as though he had rented mannequins to keep him company. He had a table in front of him upon which sat a bottle of Smirnov vodka along with a jar of orange juice. How does a person forget something like this? They don't. It's the first time I ever saw someone from the sub-continent root for an NFL football team while sucking down vodka. I awakened the next morning to find out in the USA Today that the Colts were victorious.
Tonight, Peyton Manning will take the field again. Everything will be exactly the same except I'll be in my man cave. There won't be vodka in the room, either. I heard the game starts at 6:30 EST. That's a plus for people who live on the East Coast. It gives them more time to drink and eat. Usually these games begin at 9 PM or am I wrong?
I'll be rooting for the Broncos. I like Peyton Manning. He's a conservative Christian and he's also very good at his craft. I like his sense of humor. After he retires I'll make book that he gets a job as a TV analyst. If his team loses I know I won't find out that some New York cop found him strung out on cocaine tomorrow morning behind the wheel of a stolen Rolls Royce. He'll move on with his life.
Another reason I'll hope the Broncos win is because I cannot tell you one player on the Seahawks team. I don't even remember the name of the Seahawks defensive back who's been all over the television for his rant while being interviewed by Erin Andrews. How could I cheer for a team with the name Seahawks when I can't name the starting quarterback?
The best thing about this Super Bowl Sunday is I can watch reruns of Law and Order or The Closer until my eyes fall out of their sockets. Then I can trudge up to my bedroom, fall asleep and find out the final score in the morning.
I wonder what ever happened to that Paki guy.

No comments: