Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Brain Cells Are Magnificent

Our good friends from Olathe, Kansas spent the last two nights with us. They have a grandchild in Columbus and when they visit we put them up. Don't go thinking we run a free bed and breakfast.
Our grandchildren reside in Olathe so when we see them we stay in their home.

The plan is genius especially when one considers the price of motels these days along with breakfast, lunch and dinner prices. Some of you may ask, "Why don't we just stay with our children" That's valid except who wants Grandma and Grandpa hanging around when the kids are getting ready for school or having their parents drive them to and fro for their myriad of activities. My children and grandchildren like us but we've learned to stay out of their way for the sake of maintaining their sanity.

Anyway, this morning, we were talking about how we, as seniors, seem to have more and more of those moments. The ones when we can't remember the name of a street on which we lived for thirty years or names of movies we loved. It goes like this: MJH "I saw the best movie I've ever seen in my life last month". Then our guest will say, "Wow, tell me the name of it". And I'll respond with, "Um-um, I forget".

Being the type of person I am I came out with a Clavin* and said, "Do you know the average person has between 50,000-70,000 random thoughts each and every day? My buddy scoffed and I knew I had to come up with a reliable source and I did. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuroskeptic/2012/05/09/the-70000-thoughts-per-day-myth/#.VzutqDLmrIU

My question is if we have so many 'random thoughts' why can't we remember four or five?

As an example:

The number does not just refer to your conscious thoughts. Just typing that last sentence was a long series of thoughts, including tapping the keys and spelling the words - during which I also noted a squeaking noise, decided I liked a song that was playing, and glanced at the clock. And there is a whole lot more thinking going on beneath the surface. As it turns out, 70,000 is a very conservative number compared to the 600,000+ possible thoughts a person can have each day, which works out to 10 thoughts every second.
Read the scientific formula at the site below (click the "every-thought" link on the homepage)
http://www.aesthetic-machinery...
 Furthermore, I wonder if the thoughts we have when we sleep(dreams) count. If so, them I have to be way over 100,000 in  24 hour period. *Clavin: attributed to Cliff Clavin from the TV Show, Cheers, for his command of useless trivia.
         

    No comments: