Sunday, May 29, 2016

Visiting Nebraska And Minnesota

It seems like years since I wrote a story about Ten Mile Lake, slightly north of Hackensack, Minnesota(pop 208).  The actual time frame has been four. The last visit was when my neighbors pontoon boat slid off its moorings and was headed for the middle of the lake. I, either with great courage or magnificent stupidity snagged it slightly  the dock before damage could be done.

I opened the place up last night. It's more than boring to be "Up North" by myself. The Queen couldn't make it with me but she'll be here before the loons dispatch their chicks to, most likely, the clutches of a Bald Eagle.

I did, however, bring a dear friend. I've never written about him before. We met on a golf driving range six years ago. He's eleven years younger than I. Youngsters seem to gravitate to old guys. I don't know why but I'll take it.

His first name is Jeffery. He's six foot six inches in height. Did I mention he's very, very buff physically; a rock solid 237 lbs. and as he says, handsome, debonair and full of b.s.? And he's so funny he should have his own comedy show. Think Charles Barkley and that's my buddy, Jeff, except he would never be considered 'the Round Mound of Rebound'. To pique your interest he played basketball for Dick 'Awesome Baby' Vitale.

Jeff isn't much of a fisherman but he tries. He told me he was going to fish off my dock. I suggested he'd have more luck on The Great Salt Lake. What do I know? On his first cast be caught a bass and it was a keeper.

Prior to my trip up north a class reunion of the Class of '64 oldsters met outside Omaha. There were ten of us trying to act like twenty-five year olds. Most likely it was I who led the immature parade but who cares. The Queen wasn't around to witness my shenanigans and she's the only one who counts----except for God and maybe the Pope.

I live and die by the computer. On the second day in Nebraska my computer died, or so I thought. I plugged in the power cord and got nothing. For two days I cursed and screamed and yelled. Finally, one of my classmates plugged in the cord again and something didn't seem quite right. I always thought my power cord had two inserts and a prong. After 48 hours I came to the realization I was trying to power the computer with my CPAP cord.

One of the guys related a story about his days in Abu Dhabi. It seems those folks wanted to build and upscale, top of the rung golf course. http://www.adgolfclub.com/The national bird of the country is the falcon(maybe). Anyway, after completion of the multi-million dollar golf course someone(probably a goat herder) noticed the butt end of the bird was facing Mecca so the entire course had to be torn down and reconstructed.

This is probably why the price of our gas has shot up.





No comments: