Thursday, May 12, 2016

On The Road Again

Whew! It's more than tiring thinking about what lies ahead. I don't know about you but I used to get excited about planning for and taking trips. The key phrase here is, 'used to be'.

I've been around long enough to know traveling is exhausting and that's what I expect. I'll be leaving for Cincinnati next Wednesday to see my grandchildren for the day then spend an overnight.

Early on Thursday the Ford Taurus heads west to Burlington, Iowa located on the Mississippi River sixty miles south of the Quad-Cities USA. A good friend and member of the Iowa High School Basketball Hall of Fame will be my host. We resurrected a long time friendship after forty years.

Three days later its onto Ashland, Nebraska. Every couple of years members of the Boone High School Class of 64' get together for a get together. It's three days of golf and jokes. My suggestion for this year is no discussion of politics. It's either that or I exit early.

On the 26th I'll motor to the Minneapolis airport to pick up my Dublin buddy. From there we head out to my Minnesota lake home. I've never mentioned Jeff in a column before. He's a riot. He looks like and has the same hilarious personality as Charles Barkley except he's not nearly as rotund.

Jeff played basketball in college for ESPN's Dick Vitale and has the stories about that dude to make your hair incinerate.

Going to the lake, Ten Mile Lake, provides it's own source of enthusiasm for fishing. It's quite often disappointing. I think, after a long winter under the ice, the fish decided to take their own vacation. That's usually the way it works out.

After being in Minnesota for a week we'll head on over to Wisconsin Rapids, Wisc. A dear friend lives on a golf course so we'll warm up our creaky bodies a few times trying not to embarrass ourselves.

On June 6, God willing, we'll be back in Ohio. Hopefully, there will be some tales to relate; good ones.

If not, you now know the itinerary. After reading this I'm already exhausted.

No comments: