Sunday, May 13, 2018

I Thought I'd Seen About Everything

Street corner beggars are everywhere especially in a city of 1.6 million like Columbus,Ohio. I've seen all shapes, sizes and varieties. Today, I saw a woman holding two tots. She was either from Pakistan or India. I can never tell the difference. I'll say she was a Paki but only because she wasn't sporting a red dot on her forehead.

The lady was wearing the appropriate garb indigenous to the Sub-Continent and holding a sign reading, "Two children, no work, need money".  Here's my problem. She was standing directly outside St.Brigid's Catholic Church after the 10:45 AM Mass. I knew this was inappropriate because Her Majesty had her feathers ruffled. I'll give beggar credit for not being stupid. St. Brigid's is the wealthiest parish in the area.

It had to happen in professional basketball. A member of a WNBA team positioned herself in an interview by saying it's not fair women pro's don't receive as much money as the men. Earth to this babe. If I was playing in an Old Man's baseball league what would be the response from the press if I demanded the same money paid to Major League players? I thought so.

Once again I volunteered as a high school baseball coach. One day one of the boys told me, "I can't believe how fast the last two years have gone". The only response this 72 year old could make was, "You ain't seen nuthin' yet".




No comments: