Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The More One Talks The More One Learns

I'm the first admit that I'm a talker. I like people because everyone has a story to tell.

The Memorial golf tournament, Jack's tournament,  begins in earnest on Thursday. Today was practice day and tomorrow is the Pro-Am. That's the day guys with deep pockets pay big time money to make fools of themselves on the course. They also get to rub shoulders with a professional and will try to convince their buddies they've become life long pals with their assigned partner a nauseum.

Around noon today I strolled across Memorial Drive and walked the 100 yards to the driving range. It's humbling watching players like Jason Day doing things with a golf stick I'll only do in my dreams.

Anyway, behind me in the grandstand sat a couple close to my age. I don't remember what I said to start the conversation. I think it was a personal Jack Nicklaus story.

In the course of my blathering I found out the man is a recent retiree of Purdue University.He taught statistics. "My Gosh", I thought. "My specialty was the taping of ankles and dislocated fingers. This conversation will go nowhere"-but how wrong I was.

For ten years we've livd at Muirfield I'll run into folks who are extremely nice and offer them the use of my sun enclosed deck to to rest during the days action. I'll supply food, beverages, bathroom facilities and parking passes on my street. The officials at Muirfield provide parking a mile and a half from the course. For us old-timers that's a haul. Muirfield charges a five spot for a coke. Jack Nicklaus----always looking to make a buck.

I left the course around one o'clock and told the Boilermaker couple to stop in at six to pick up their parking pass.

Now for the good stuff. The man graduated from Grinnell High School in Iowa in 1964. I graduated from Boone High School the same year. Both towns were in the same athletic conference. He was a golfer. I competed in other things. He went to Iowa State Univ. and received his degree in statistics.  My wife also graduated from Iowa State the same year. Who'da thunk it?

In this life my suggestion is to be slightly forward when introducing yourself to others. If, when you open your mouth, moths fly out you may never know what you're missing.


No comments: