Tuesday, November 27, 2018

It's That Time Of Year Again

It must have been about five years ago I blogged about that period of the year between Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you're one of those who lives in metropolitan areas as do I "It ain't fun, Louise".

I make a determined and usually successful attempt to stay in our condo. There's a good reason for this. People are nuts at this time of year. Shoppers will get into fish fights over three packs of Wrigley's gum. I've seen people go berserk over a parking place. They make Alec Baldwin look like a choir boy.

Yesterday, I broke my promise. I ventured to the Dollar Store. I knew there was a card available for one lousy dollar to send my former boss. Of course, because he was the best boss on the face of the planet I inserted a couple of gift certificates to the Ft. Meyers Jazz Society. He loves that crap.

In my opinion Christmas cards are going the way of the pay roadside telephones. Very soon they'll be in the trash bin of history.

When I buy a card I'm very selective in my choice. I don't buy one with toys showing or a picture of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. You get my drift. The card cover has to have a semblance of religion showing. I lucked out. Dollar had a box of 12 with wise men and a child in a crib for one lousy dollar.

I receive cards from people with no message. They sign their name. C'mon, is their time that important they can't write a message?

I receive and send cards to people I talk to all the time. They know my business as well as I know theirs. Not to be too much of a curmudgeon but this seems silly. It's like my wife and her best friend who lives three houses away. Her friend wanted the Queen to be on Facebook. Why?

Would you to make a person feel more than insignificant? I got one of these on email two years ago. The sender wrote a very nice note about how much my friendship meant to them. About what a good person I was and how much they looked forward to us sharing good times in the upcoming year.

Then I noticed it was a mass email to about 50 people. All they had to do was go to bcc and I would have felt like Pope John Paul II.

I've gotten to the point if I receive a card I'll quick like a bunny write a note and mail it trying to fake out the receiver like they crossed in the mail.

Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments: