Wednesday, November 28, 2018

What Do You Want For Christmas

Let's be honest with each other. Do we oldsters give a hoot about receiving Christmas gifts? By oldster I'm referring to those of us in the 'check out generation'. Gifts are kind of fun when a person is in their 40's especially if given to you by a child. There was a special lady in my life who was more like a mom to me. She had four daughters and nary a son. I was her boy. Her girls always said I could box up dog poop, put a bow around it and she'd think it was akin to the Hope Diamond. They were right.

As time goes by and we age not so gracefully most of us could care less about gifts. My father-in-law was a good guy, a clone of Ward Cleaver. I always gave him a years subscription to the Reader's Digest. He liked it. All I did was fill out a form with a check and mail it in. Problem solved.

Her Majesty already told me what she wanted. So, I'll give her the money and she can buy it herself. Guys, this is smart. There's no way we can screw up this scenario. If she gets the wrong size I'm still home free. As an example, sometime around 1972 I bought her a wig that looked exactly like the hair on her head. I was being practical. There had to be some mornings, I thought, when she didn't feel like coiffing and primping or whatever women do. I was wrong. I've always had fantasies about women with red hair. I missed my big chance.

We've been blessed with buying for our grandchildren ranging in age from 3 to 14. It seems like I write about this every year but for you newbies-------------. My three children and their spouses do not let their children watch commercial television. Oh, they've seen cartoons and watch many, many children's movies. In other words, when the Christmas season rolls around they've never seen an ad for a toy or any other item that will be  broken or forgotten about in a week.

Granny and Grandpa buy books, art supplies, memberships to zoos. You know what I mean, right. Things other parents might call 'stupid stuff'. Besides, and this is only me talking, I've always thought parents bought their kids gifts to make themselves feel better. I'm sure I'm wrong but my parents, I know, were this way. They were children of the Depression and might get a bowl of oatmeal on Christmas morning. Their parents splurged by putting sugar and cinnamon on top. We were what is called spoiled.

I read an article the other day in one of the best gossip rags, the UK Daily Mail. It stated 28% of people in this country still owe on Christmas gifts from 2017. Yeah, this reminded me of my parents. What kind of irresponsible people are these when that cash could be better spent on beer, golf and other important aspects of life. The fools!

You might ask me this question on November 28. When are you going to start your Christmas shopping. "Hey, Goober, I'm already done".

No comments: