Thursday, March 28, 2019

Medical Mess-Ups

Yes, we've heard stories about doctors burying their mistakes. My uneducated guess is they occur more often than we know. When I had my hip replacement seven weeks ago, right before receiving anesthesia, the nurse game me a magic marker and had me make an X on the hip to be fixed. I then, with the same pen, initialed the X.

There were two stories in the news this week, both from Gt. Britain, a country with single payer health care that should give us pause.

In the first a women was operated on for a double mastectomy. Her mother and sister died of breast cancer. Tests indicated that she, too, should go through the same procedure. Too bad for her. After the surgery it was found that she did not have breast cancer.

In another case a man had a circumcision. The problem is the guy went in for bladder surgery.
Please understand this is not the biggest mistake ever. After much consideration he converted to Judaism. I lied about the last part.

No comments: