Thursday, March 7, 2019

These Are The Best Of Times

The Queen and I were on the couch chitchatting this morning while drinking out coffee. I was about to make a statement I've been giving a great deal of consideration for quite some time.

I've been looking back on my seventy plus years and I said, "I am living during the best time of my life in this great country.

Last week I considered getting a parttime job. I don't need one but it fills in the day. I'm not a Wal-Mart greeter kind of person. I need a challenge. Two weeks ago a car drove by, just an ordinary sedan. It had a sign on the side reading, 'Amazon Deliverer'. I could do that. It's easy. I like to drive and I could listen to the radio at the same time. I'd get to meet new people. It'd be fun so I applied online. Guess what? I've not only been inundated with requests for my services from Amazon but a couple hundred other companies wanting to know if I wanted work? I filled out the Amazon form and they got back telling me they had opening ranging from $25 to $40 an hour. Are you kidding me?

What we have in this country today are jobs, jobs, jobs. If you can't find a job and want one there's something severely wrong with you. If you don't have enough money to live on you might be lazy.

Can we spend a few moments talking about the poor in America? Put our so called poor up against any in the world and they look like kings and queens. If one qualifies as poor they can pick up $60 thousand dollars in yearly benefits. Illegal immigrants receive these benefits. Social programs abound in America. One of our presidents referred to some Caribbean and African nations as sh*thole countries. Many people were aghast this person could speak that way. Hey, the average 'poor' person in America doesn't come close to living like some of these fine folks. They might if you took away their cars, colored TV sets, electricity, government food and clothing. Oh, I forgot iPhones. The poor in this country have it made comparatively speaking.

Are you afraid of being bombed to smithereens by Iran, North Korea or Russia? I'm not. If they were dumb enough to attack some of our cities we have the fire power to absolutely send these entire countries back to the Stone Age.

Think about this. It seems to me the average person today is a chronic complainer of doom and gloom. This shouldn't be. We bought a television ten years ago. It works great but I could go to Costco and buy a new one for half the price of the one we have.

We don't have to buy many groceries but we have a number of stores that offer price choices. Gasoline is still selling at about $2.15 a gallon. The naysayers would say, "Yeah, but six months ago it was going at $1.75 per. Silly people. When a certain person was in office gas was going for $4.00. We were also told we couldn't drill to cheaper prices.

I take many meds to keep me on the straight and narrow. They aren't all that expensive. I called my doctor for an appointment last Friday. He got me in on the following Monday. Try that with socialized medicine. You'll wait six months.

I butt dialed a great, long time friend last night who lives north of Houston. He got back to me. and we talked for 13:54. (Do you oldsters remember when a long distance phone call cost a whole lot of money?) We don't communicate much except by text and when the Iowa State Cyclones are playing basketball. It was great. He is always so up. He's a graduate of West Point. He has the best sense of humor of any 100 people alive. Toward the end of our conversation I said, "I might fly down and we can play golf" Think about it. In years past the only reason people flew were on business trips and funerals. Now we can fly, cheaper than ever, on a whim.

Does anyone have a television they watch regularly? Today, a person, if they have the money, can pick up over 200 channels. When I was a youngster we had three. We got cable in 1985 and a bunch of people came over to the house to watch.

I could go on forever but I've made my point. Americans are being constantly inundated with negative news about people, places and things. It'd be best if we all shut off the media barrage of negativism, don't ya' think?

It's great to be alive in 2019.




No comments: