Friday, June 28, 2019

A Day To Remember

Are you one of those people who when their feet hit the floor in the morning say, "Gee, I wonder what's going to happen today?". Guess what? Neither am I.

Yesterday afternoon I went trolling in the boat and after thirty minutes caught a 5 pound northern pike. I felt like I'd conquered Mt. Everest and made the descent without dying.

I docked the boat and came into the cabin and needed another fix. I knew it was Taco Night at the American Legion in Hackensack(pop 245) so I drove into town. Taco's go for a buck apiece but in addition it was meat raffle night. That's a biggie for the townsfolk and the Legion is a wonderful gathering place for conversation and adult beverages if you desire. I received an additional bonus because they were carrying a major league baseball game.

Around 6 o'clock I sashayed over to the popcorn machine to snag come corn. This isn't just any machine. It's like the ones they have at the theater and the FREE popcorn is as good if not better.

On the way back to my booth I noticed an elderly gentleman sitting with three other men. He was wearing a black military cap and written across the top it read: 'WWI-D-Day'.

My initial thought this guy is a phony since he looked like he should have been in Viet Nam. He looked that young. His son sat across from him after I asked if he had been at the D-Day invasion. "Utah Beach", he said. I'm serious as a heart attack when I tell you my eyes welled with tears. Then I gave him a monster hug.

His name is Harry 'Pete' Shaw. He's 95 years young and now lives in Canton, Ohio. Mr. Shaw won two Bronze Stars and two Silver Stars.

What a fine gentleman. He's great to me than any athlete who ever live.

For certain, I'm very happy my feet hit the floor yesterday morning.

No comments: