Monday, June 17, 2019

Happy Anniversary To Us

The Queen and I are celebrating an anniversary this month, sort of. We bought our Minnesota lake home 25 years ago this month. At the time it was a great looking log home from the outside. On the inside it was a shell. We had ceiling insulation but it was showing. The basement had a concrete floor and that's it; no rooms, no walls, no nothing.

Since that time we've added a garage, a 9 month porch, made over the basement by adding a carpeted living room and bedroom along with another bath with shower and toilet. There are other odds and ends we've taken care of along the way. I've learned when one owns a lake home the work and expenses are never completed.

So, it was in '94 when we plunked down our first payment but that year was also significant in other ways. My father passed away at age 74. He put about 100 years in that period. To say he was a hard living person would be a lie. He lived harder than hard.

We lived in Westerville, Ohio at the time. Two weeks before my dad passed we lost our beloved Dalmation, Casey. I was so distraught I made Her Majesty take her to the vet to put her down. I promised myself I would never, ever get another best friend. I was wrong. If you read this column you know we got Charlie in February. He's a godsend.

My youngest son had just graduated high school. We were now empty nesters. The Queen had trouble with this. I didn't.

In December our daughter married a wonderful young man from Ottumwa, Iowa. It was a wonderful wedding held in Ottumwa and at age 48 I felt on top of the world. 

Time flies doesn't it? Some things good and some things not so good. These memories would make a nice book for easy reading. Isn't this what life is all about?

No comments: