Monday, June 3, 2019

It's That Time Of Year To Rob Our Condo

Every year since this blog began eight years ago I've given notice to potential thieves that the Queen and I are headed out to our lake condo in northern Minnesota. It's only fair the scum of the earth should get the word. So, go at it boys and girls. Warning: You won't much to purchase drugs. We put Her Majesty's jewelry in storage. I do have a lot of golf memorabilia in my man cave. It isn't worth much on the market but if you want to grab an autographed photo of Jack and Arnie be my guest.

As of this summer we've had the cabin for 25 years. Can it be true. We bought it in 1994 which was one of the most momentous years of my life; some good and some not so good. In June our beloved Dalmatian, Casey passed away. Also in June my dad died. The highlight was in December of '94. Our oldest child and daughter was married to a wonderful young man. The result is a wonderful marriage and three darling children.

I'll leave, sans wife, for the lake tomorrow with intermittent stops along the way. I'll go to Wrigley Field tomorrow night to watch my beloved Cubs try and score a run. It's been a long time since I've been there; maybe thirty years. The last time I attended a game I sat in the outfield bleachers with my good friend from Parker, Arizona. I only remember two things about the contest. One, my buddy was admiring the young high school boys sitting in front of us until they pulled out their little baggies and started smoking marijuana. After that we stopped admiring them. The second remembrance was that Lou Rawls sang the national anthem. That's all I can remember. The game is a blur.

 Wednesday I'll hook up with three college fraternity brothers for dinner. One of them is a hot shot lawyer in Chicago. He was my first college hero because he used the word 'camaraderie' in a sentence. For a Boone, Iowa boy and the son of a railroad worker this was heady stuff.

Thursday sees me going to Oconomowoc, Wisconsin for dinner with my two beloved cousins. Oconomowoc is one of my favorite small towns anywhere in the United States. It's surrounded by lakes and was the location of summer homes for the rich and famous of Milwaukee during the Gilded Age. The homes still stand and one must see them when visiting.

 Friday it's off to a golf course community fifteen miles south of Wisconsin Rapids for three days of embarrassing myself on the course. I met my buddy in '77 when I was teaching in Mukwonago, Wisconsin and we've been best friends since. He makes me laugh. Here's the thing about Keith, a state champion football coach, when it comes to paying a bill his pockets go all the way to his ankles but you don't care. He's that good of a person even though he's cheap.

 Sunday I'll motor to the Twin Cities to be with my longest running best friend. We started becoming pals when we were 9 and have stayed the same. Kids in town called us Laurel and Hardy. If Muss was around you just knew MJH couldn't be far away.

On Wednesday, maybe, I'll head to the lake; no cable, no wifi, no fun. We'll be there two months. My goal this summer is to catch one fish. Hope springs eternal.

2 comments:

jack said...

The Cub game happened because we were not catching fish. A great day with a great friend.

mjloehrer said...

It had to be 115 in the shade.