Sunday, June 23, 2019

This 'N That From Ten Mile Lake

I've been at the lake for three days shy of two weeks with no intention of taking off for fun places. That's a miracle. I'm certain being old has a great deal to do with it. I need a nap after walking from the garage to the cabin.

When I arrived the temps were in the sixties for daytime and twenty degrees, or more, cooler at night. I loved this; throw open the windows and put on two extra blankets. My affinity for coolness should be a great deterrent for not going to Hell.

As is with most all the nation it's been nothing but rain, rain, rain. You know what that means, right?
When I take Charlie for his morning constitutional I'm bundled like and ISIS fighter. Only my eyes show out of my clothing. My poor pooch, even with his fur coat, is covered with skeeters. He looks like he has a coat of armor and these bad boys wear a size XXL shirt on top of it.

This year, for the first time in 25, we have a semblance of what is called television. Aside from PBS and the weather channel we receive actual shows. I even got to watch the US Open. If I can't pick up what I want then there's my Smart Phone. That'll come in handy when college football begins.

As is the case in cold weather regions where there is a short season prices can be somewhat steep especially at restaurants. There's a new one a couple miles from us called Headwaters. We wanted to patronize the owners since we'd heard so many good comments about the service. I'd never paid twenty dollars for a cobb salad before but what the heck. I looked at the right side of the menu without glancing at what was being served. All I saw was $26, $30, $36, $36 and $40. Very quickly I moved back to the soup and salad side.

Fishing has been normal for this lake; zip, zero, nada catches. It's been this way since we began coming here. The funny thing is, after all the disappointments, during my 17 hour drive up here I keep thinking this will be the year. What a fool!


No comments: