Saturday, July 18, 2020

Thank God For Small Favors

Since I'm a former teacher I've been closely following the discussion as to whether or not schools should reopen in the Fall. It is a conundrum.  I'm lucky I'm not in the classroom. It's a small favor and  blessing.

On one side of the ledger I've listened to doctors say the danger of a child catching the virus or transmitting it is negligible. It's been said, factually, that children don't die from the virus. A good many teachers want to stay away. Those with the most danger are over age 50. I guess they could wear a mask but what do I know since I don't wear one.

Teachers unions are leading the way in keeping the schools closed. Not only that they are making other demands; higher pay, paid leave, etc. What a surprise.

I don't know many teachers anymore, We're either retired or dead and the dead ones are keeping their mouths shut.

Three years ago I was a volunteer baseball coach at Dublin(Ohio) Coffman High School. I've mentioned this story before but it's worth repeating. Last May I was having a conversation with one of the coaches and an instructor at the school about online teaching and how he was going to handle it.

His response was he was going to do as little as possible. Why, I asked. He told me the kids were going to cheat on tests anyway so why should he bother.

That kind of stuck with me. If one person feels this way there might be others.

No comments: