Thursday, June 3, 2010

It's Summertime

In Dublin, Ohio it's the first day of summer. Jack Nicklaus' Memorial golf tournament has officially started at Muirfield Village with the PGA pro's teeing off at 7:20 am. It's great to be here this time of year; sort of like being at Churchill Downs every day except without the horses. My neighbor, along with Jack Nicklaus and two other gentlemen, founded the course and tournament. I call him "Mr. Hoag" at all times, even when I'm in his presence. He's only 16 years older than I but he's as close to Harry Vardon, Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson as I'll get to on this earth. Mr. Hoag has played Augusta National over forty times and Pebble Beach over one hundred. A few weeks ago Mr. Hoag asked me if I'd like to join Muirfield. I suggested I might not get in because I'd have to get approval from the Board. He said, "Baby, I am the Board and if I say you're in your in". Doesn't make a pinch of difference, though. I'd have to rob more banks than Bonnie and Clyde to pay the initiation fee. Even so, I felt honored.
We reside one hundred feet from the course entrance. Perception is everything. Most folks think our proximity to Muirfield means we're elites when, in reality, we're former Iowans who live in a two bedroom condo; just like regular people!!!
Mr. Hoag gave me four nice passes to all the events. Yesterday, there was a skins game involving Jack, Tiger, Phil and, I'll include Zach Johnson since he's an Iowan. I had the best seat in the house-----watching on television. I'll walk to the range to watch players swing, wishing I was younger and much more limber. I try to emulate them but it's a passing fancy. Then I'll come home, lie on the couch and watch the tournament. My television is very close to the refrigerator and commode. I've become accustomed to the simple things in life.
Once in awhile I'll park my butt on 18 green and people watch. I get a kick out of people and trends. Uh-oh! It just started raining. Gee! Wish I was across the street getting wet. NOT! Anyway, the now thing for men golfers is wearing a Titleist golf cap with sun glasses wrapped around the logo, "Titleist". I've never done this. I'm not that trendy. I think most guys go to golf tournaments to look at the 'eye candy'. There's a lot of that floating around and some of the young ladies aren't afraid to show IT off, either. It's the age old story of the hunter and the hunted.
Tiger's here for the tournament. I saw him on the driving range last Wednesday. Normally, there would be three or four hundred people watching him. On this day, maybe twenty and not very many little ones. This is too bad. Tiger owned the world and now he owes his wife.
I've got my eye on a young man not playing in the Memorial. His name is Mark Anderson and he's a golfer on the Nationwide golf tour. That's the Triple A for golf; just below the PGA. Mark stayed in our home last year in preparation for US Open qualifying. He's going to be a star on tour someday. Mark is a very nice, Christian young man. I like those kind of kids.
Years ago, our high school English instructor told us to have a strong opening and closing when writing. I took care of the former. As for the latter, I'm going to have another cup of French roast and watch the tournament on television.

No comments: