Wednesday, June 16, 2010

'Ten Mile Lake--Finally

Well, readers, I arrived at the lake last Saturday evening but due to poor phone and computer service it took until today to get things up and running.
As you'll recall, I was in Iowa for a few days and a couple of things escaped me about Iowans and folks in my home town that you need to know. I took morning walks and, being a city boy, forgot about small town friendliness. Every person I saw on my strolls either nodded or waved to me. But that's small town Iowa. When people greet other people in Iowa they start with two questions: "hot enough for ya'" or "cold enough for ya'"?. Only those from the upper midwest would understand.
My area of the world in Minnesota is more than unique. I tend to pick up on things that strike me as "different" or not familiar to others. For instance, one of my friends and a true Minnesotan speaks the language; he cant' pronounce 'th' words. This morning he was over and I pointed to a gray box on the side of the house wondering what it was. He responded, "It's a bat box". "A what", I asked. He repeated this then I realized he was saying, 'bath'. I think it's funny that he can't say Catholic, as in a religion. It comes out 'cat-lick'.
My TV doesn't work worth a dang. Before I got a converter it was 100% snowy. Now it's down to 90% and I get two channels. No problem. It forces me to read. There's one conservative talk radio station out of Park Rapids. They have Rush and Sean in the afternoon but I listen in the morning. The owner and broadcaster is Ed Delahunt. He's on from 9 am to 11 and he bloviates. People are supposed to call in and vent. On Monday a fella called and the conversation went like this, "Ed, this is Tom. Think you and Barb can go to dinner on Saturday"? Funny, huh?
I love to fish my lake. It's clear and deep. I'm a salesman's best friend. I can go to the bait shop for a can of soda pop***** and leave with $100 worth of fishing lures. Last summer, while sitting on my deck, I watched an American Bald Eagle feasting on a very large northern pike on my dock. My wife, Lizzie, told me that with my fishing luck I should tie a line to the eagle's leg.
I've been taking morning walks. These are an experience for the not feint of heart. In the north woods it is necessary to put on a net cap over your head. Trust me, the deer flies are bothersome. My good buddy said if one puts one of those Bounce fabric softeners under the back of the cap flies will stay away. I tried it. He's right.
Most of you may not realize this but the Loon is our state bird. They're interesting animals. Their legs aren't strong enough to allow them to walk and they mate for life. If the original partner croaks that's it for them. A number of years ago there was a contest to name the state bird and the Loon won. Many don't know this but the mosquito came in second. Our skeeters are very large. They usually fly in a pack of twenty or so with one leader. I once heard a leader announce to the pesky critters, "Saddle up, men, and when you pick your prey suck like you've never sucked before". I kid you not on this.
Enough already. I'm off to do some mowing. The grass is taller than an Argentinian pampas.
Sometimes, it's fun not to get so caught up in politics when writing. Is Obama still president or was he impeached?
**** soda pop: Easterners say soda. Midwesterners call it pop but sometimes we Iowans put the two words together just to sound more intelligent.

No comments: