Monday, July 12, 2010

The Big Bass Theory

Day 3 of the vacation with the grandson is about to come to an end and it was a joyous one. More on that later. In the previous two days all I wanted for the kid was to catch fish--and he did. He nailed two zabillion sunfish, bluegills and rock bass. I was baiting his hook every fifteen seconds. He did catch a good sized sunny yesterday and it was thrown in the live well. Being that I remember fishing with my dad and grandpa at that age he, like me at that time, had to check it out every couple of minutes . My dad used to get mad at me when I did this but in those days we put the bullheads(for people not from the Midwest bullheads are smaller versions of the catfish) on a stringer and he had to keep pulling them out of the water for me to see.
Today, Oscar caught his first large mouth bass. It wasn't huge but it wasn't tiny, either. It fought him hard but the Big O was victorious. Into the live well it went. When we got back to the cabin his dad took the obligatory picture. I have a 7 and a half pound large mouth mounted on our cabin wall. Oscar thought we should mount his. At a hundred cimolis my figuring told me this a bad idea. He then wanted to know if we could eat it. I wasn't sure how squeamish this might make a five year old plus I don't want to be responsible for any future Jeffrey Dahmer's. I mentioned we'd have to cut off the head first. That's all it took. "Maybe we should give it a spanking, tell it not to eat any more worms and send it home to it's family". Those were my grandson's words on the subject and that's the way it ended, thankfully.

No comments: