Sunday, July 18, 2010

Vacation Ends


Vacation in Minnesota came to a conclusion yesterday. A grand time was had by all especially the Big O. I have to wonder what memories he will retain. Was it his first walleye? Doubtful. I'd make book that it was wading in the water trying to catch minnows. I told him to stand very still while the minnows nibbled on his toes then make a big scoop with his net. We had a large inner tube and I'd spin him around trying to throw him off. I love it when he giggles with glee. The kayaks were a big hit. He enjoyed going out with his dad. He's sort of a trickster, too; told me there was a golf bag in the water at the end of the dock. I bit!
It's always a grand sight to see an American Bald eagle soar in the skies then swoop down and grab a fish. He watched that with fascination.
Even though I was happy leaving and getting back to Ohio I asked Oscar to give the lake one final look and a salute then tell it we'd be back next year. He had tears in his eyes because he didn't want to leave the north woods. It was sad to witness but it meant he had a good time.
It's a two mile drive from our cabin to the main road. It's gravel and you feel like the birch and pines are going to topple in on you but it's a beautiful sight. He saw a doe and two fawns as we left. I think he'll remember this.
Our trip took us to Minneapolis and we dropped off my son and his at the airport. Lizzie and I had four hours to kill so we went to the Great Mall of the Americas. People actually drive from all over the Midwest to visit this mammoth structure. It has an indoor amusement park, underwater fish aquarium and enough stores to satisfy every need and decimate every wallet.
My only thought during our entire two hour visit was: this would be the perfect place for a terrorist attack. Silly me! Not really because there were four Muslims sentenced for planning attacks just last week. Minneapolis has a strong radical Muslim population. Aha! The bug had been planted in my brain.
After we had checked in at the airport I noticed what I thought was a Somalian. He was dressed in dress blue pin stripe slacks with a striped blue shirt. I didn't think much of him until I took my seat. He sat next to me. I was in the middle and he had the window. As soon as we took off he pulled out, what else, a copy of the Koran and began reading. What was that the Musketeers said before they whipped out their sabres: "On Guard". Pardners, let me tell you this old goat was prepared for action. I'm not sure what my response would have been but it probably would have gone like this; "Hey buddy, knock it off".
So, for the next two hours I prepared myself but, ever thankfully, nothing occurred and we landed without a hitch.
I wish I had time to write about attempting to get through airport security. I set off every alarm in the building but that's for another day. Maybe tomorrow if you're lucky.

No comments: